Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

come and gone

What I miss the most about the Soccer World Cup is the sea of colour that accompanied the vibe, atmosphere and celebrations. The mirror socks and the window flags that flooded the highways and byways of Durban. Of all over South Africa in fact.

There are still one or two die hard fans I’ve noticed on the road who have kept their flag flying and I always smile and think how grand it is they have not removed them yet. The games may be over, but we will always remember 2010 – how could we possibly forget?

Something else I’ve noticed, which has saddened me somewhat is the sudden disappearance of all the extra police and security we had patrolling Durban and the Beach Front Promenade. I’ve lived in this city all my life. I love this city. I am as typical a Durban boy as typical can be. Except I don’t have sun bleached hair and I can not surf.

I’ve always loved exploring the city and I can pretty much take you to all the little hide outs and quiet spots with my eyes closed. Chances are you wont find me drinking a mojito at Moyo or at I’ll Maurice behind the Beverly Hills Hotel sipping on a strawberry daquiri. You’ll more likely to find me in a pub in the centre of town drinking a beer our of a bottle sitting on a crate. Or in on one of the little hidden bars dotted along the beach front.

A friend once told me “The dodgier the area, the tastier the KFC”
I don’t see why that should be any different for a few ice cold pints.

But I digress.

Now that the SWC has come and gone. So have the police. I remember weeks leading up to the event there were scores of policemen and women stationed, well, everywhere. Every 5 meters another two could be seen patrolling – not that I am suggesting we live in a city so dangerous that there has to be a constant presence, we all know the truth. We live in a world that suggests we should have a constant police presence. A sense of safety and security.

I just personally think it was a great idea. And now it’s not such a great idea. And, then, I also want to know – where are they all? Did our government not say that these men and woman would still be employed after the World Cup? Did they not assure us that this was not all just a show for our visitors?

So where are they? Hopefully not sharing a beer or KFC Streetwise 2 in some dodgy shebeen in the centre of town.

3 comments:

Juz said...

Maybe they're evenly redistributed over the rest of the country. Like scatter cushions.

wozzel said...

blue scatter cushions? not the fabric i would have chosen. lol.

SteveA said...

I think there needs to be more police presence - just generally - but as usual - an event like the World Cup would bring heightened security, which would have faded away once the WC was gone!