Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Friday, April 30, 2010

the winter migration

It would seem the winter migration to Durban has begun. Every year. From Jozi, they trek down to the warmest place in SA during winter. Out of the blue they’ve arrived. And they are everywhere. Umhlanga never used to have street kids and homeless people hanging around begging at the stop lights like this before. Argyle Road in Morningside is even worse at the moment. There are beggars everywhere.

My heart goes out to these people, it really does but it also makes me very nervous. These are desperate people and desperation drives people to do things they may not usually do. I’m involved with charity and I try doing my bit, but I won’t give money to people on the street. Really, what is the point? And there is not much more we can do about it is there?

Walking to the bus stop this morning (my lift has a day off), I saw the usual homeless guys (and a few newbie’s) sitting outside Spar with empty Autumn Harvest Sparkling Wine (it should read: Paraffin) bottles lying next to them. Their hands outstretched, open, asking for money.

I politely smile and move on.

Tied to the telephone pole was a dog. (Don’t worry; his owner was in the cafĂ© next door) I knelt to pat him on the head. A man standing by the bus stop approaches me and says;

"You should show the same compassion to the homeless guys as you do that dog."

So, I pat them too.

Good for me! I made a joke at the expense of a few homeless guys. And it never cost me a cent. *round of applause*

What more can we do?

Before I go, let me tell you why I’m limping today.

I was trying to moonwalk this morning to Britney while I was doing the flamingo in the lounge while buttoning up my shirt and I tripped. I reached out and tried grabbing hold of Onion (my pet giraffe) for support only to fall down anyway. Silly billy. Great help you were!

You all have a good weekend now hear?

4 comments:

JCLL said...

I always smile at the homeless and never give them anything. you should have said to the guy who told you to show more compassion: "you first"...MF...

I am in Durban next weekend for Indaba...my fav thing in the whole world..NOT...Please order some rain and cold weather, I wont cope with the normal Durban weather...

wozzel said...

ooh. i will also be there. My boyfriend has to work and network and all that :)

enjoy it, i will send in the order for ya.

Gail said...

dont be such a softie! just come to jozi for a bit, we will show you how, haibo...

RULE no1 - never make eye contact, the second you look at them it over

RULE no2 - stay the hell away from them they lower your average LSM just by proximity.

Janiek said...

All very interesting what you write. I'll come and peek here now and then!