Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

jingle bells jingle hells!

It is that time of the year again. Christmas decorations are up in the stores, Bony M (hear me scream – EEEEEK) is being played, on repeat, even in Woolworths while shoppers merrily, well, shop. The time of year when even more “FWD” e-mails are forwarded and there is a false sense of Joy and Merriment oozing out the pores of everyone I meet.

I find this time of the year to be incredibly fake.

Guess who’s not the biggest fan of Christmas. Fear not – I am working on it. I am trying to embrace the festive season – I’m trying to embrace the colorful halls decked with boughs of holly, tra-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!

I shall however not embrace Bony M.

It is also that time of the year when family is asking who is going to be where and at who’s home will we meet and should we be traditional or shall we just book a table at Harvey’s?

The boyfriend has however convinced me to deck our home with boughs of holly this year. And those little twinkling lights and tinsel and there is even a tree. A TREE!! First time I’ve ever set up a Christmas tree in my own home. Ever. I don’t even know where it will go. And anyway, traditionally, when are we supposed to put it up?

The frustration however lies in the fact that even though I have a relatively close family, Christmas, brings along with it, other than the scorching Durban Summer – a most certain family dispute.

I’m not sure what the dispute is yet. I will have to wait for December 25th before I can be sure, but there will be – somewhere along the line.

Then there is the year end function. I hate the year end function! Not only do I have zero clue of what to wear (people, I must be the worst dressed gay man around; I have no time for brands and fancy shoes and crap. Give me board shorts a pair of slops and I’m ready to go) – I can not stand how chipper everyone is, smiling and laughing and pretending to be so happy to spend a few hours in the company of the company we all work at – for the knives will surely come out again tomorrow when we are all back in the office and no one likes anyone again.

So silly.

Plus, I’m irritated because Santa Claus does not really look like this :(
Well, more than irritated, devastated!


9 comments:

Marphyllis said...

I so Agree with this posting, the fake-ness and cheesy-ness of it all. I hate Valentines day. When the 14th comes, I just want to stay in bed.

Nik_TheGreek said...

I refuse to do anything Christmassy before the 6th of December (St. Nicholas day). As simply as that.

By the way, Woz, when you start your Christmas baking please please please take some pictures and send us the recipes... :-D

wozzel said...

Marphyllis - i know that feeling well. I too used to be the Valentines day Grinch. But things change.

lol - you know me well Nik, I will indeed spend wayyyy too much time baking this season - I have a man with a sweet tooth :) I will do def do that :-D

Anonymous said...

I gave up christmas for yrs because of the things you staterd in your post...just the past couple yrs I have begun to celebrate again. But now I suround myself with friends(they are the family we choose) and we have begun to make our own traditions...its wonderful;)

Gail said...

OMG - killing me - I FREAKING LOVE Christmas, love the lights, the holly, the antlers on alice bands - the works! The more commercial the better! meh it takes all kinds ... grinches! :)

Gail said...

PS if Father Christmas really looked like that I'd sit on his pole, I mean his lap any day! ... sis gail!

Unknown said...

Bah Humbug!

wozzel said...

hey David, i know the feeling. I am getting a bit more "into" the vibe and all, and my boyfriend really does want to decorate the house like never before, so i'm willing to give it a bash :) I shall report back.

Sies Gail! hahaha. love love love it.

Nin's - you know - i love that word. HAHAHA. I've not heard it in ages. Thanks for the early morning smile :)

Thoughts from the fish bowl. said...

I am a Christmas fan! I can not wait. I love all the music and deco and trees and Santa's running wround.