Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

of cheese burgers and beer... and how they met

I am sorry if I've written about this before. I do not remember, and anyway, this is my blog and I'm allowed to write about what ever the heckles I want to write about.

Pretty cool eh?

And yes, he may be brought up in blog posts and conversation on a regular basis, but I dont care :)

I was remembering how the boyfriend and I met last night. Skipping merrily down memory lane. We had a good chuckle.

We met quite by accident on line. Not on a dating site or hook up site or blog. I had responded to an add for tickets that were not wanted to a concert (that clearly I wanted). I met the guy to collect them and found I could not stop thinking about his Big Blue eyes. Apparently he could not stop thinking about my Big Green eyes either. And that was that.

A few days later I received an e-mail asking if I had enjoyed the concert? Just a simple e-mail. Of course I replied saying that I had enjoyed it etc, etc. A reply came a few minutes later and an hour later we had exchanged 26 e-mails. I learnt he was new in Durban, had just returned from New Zealand where he had lived with some family for a year and that he had only a handful of friends here.

“I know a really cool spot on the beachfront that does the best burgers around and the beer is cheap. I want to meet new people here and make new friends, so if you ever have time we should hang out. What do you think?” he asked as the e-mail conversation was winding up. “sounds good to me” I said. “Nothing wrong with making friends” and so it was arranged that we were to meet that very evening…

...and I just knew it was a date.

Once home I got ready and called a cab. It was to be an early evening. It was a school night you know, and then, after calling the cab 3 times because they were now running 20 minutes over the pick up time I ran from my apartment down to the main road where I knew there were usually always cabs waiting.

That evening there were none. I called to let him know that I would be running late, and after finally finding a cab I hysterically cried “you had better drive fast, I am late!”

The cab driver was a little old African lady. “oh” she said smiling, “you are going on a date? a first date?” and I said “yes. I am” Then she started giving me advice. “Just remember to be yourself. Smile a lot and always look interested, unless it is a bad date, then just walk out. You never know – this could be the one”

True story people.

She even gave me her cell phone number and asked that I please update her to how the date went. I never did :( Felt guilty for some reason. It was almost like she knew.

I arrived there 30 minutes late. As I walked toward the table he recognized me and stood up to meet and greet me. I swam people, I swam. I was skinny dipping in those Blue eyes, swimming - drowning - but had to remain cool – calm – collected. When in reality all I wanted to do was pounce him right there and then and do unspeakables.

We chatted a lot. We ate cheese burgers and drank ice-cold beer. We laughed and smiled. I stared. He stared. We stared.

After dinner we went over to the Durban Fun Fair, which pales in comparison to most of them here in SA and around the world. It is fun none the less and we enjoyed some time in the bumper cars (I had to get my bang on somehow) and then closed the evening with a ride on the cable cars. And let me tell you now that I am a sissy when it comes to heights but how could I not go?

The evening ended with a handshake. I knew – I knew that something was there. I’m not saying love at first sight. I am not saying I saw our future flash before my eyes but I knew that something was brewing there in that handshake.

We met again the next day. I bunked work so we could spend the day on the beach together, and we have spent every day together since then. It has only been a year and a half, but hey, this has been the most exciting year and a half ever.

He made me wait. Wait two weeks before we kissed. Or was that three? I can not even remember, but I do remember that it was four weeks after meeting and seeing each other daily that… well… hehe, you know. We got all funky in the bedroom. And lounge. And kitchen. And bathroom. And elevator.

Good times I tell you. Good times.

And I never want the good times to end.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww! Cute.

So, which one is you there?

wozzel said...

i'm the guy wearing sunglasses ;)

Anonymous said...

lol

Nik_TheGreek said...

nice story... Thanks for sharing.
elevator huh? That's a good idea... I can't easily find one though...

wozzel said...

hey Nik, lol. When we met I was living in an apartment on the 7th floor so it had an elevator :)

AJohnP said...

This is a GREAT story! Just for the record, Jim and I waited 4 weeks until 'you-know-what' as well, and we just celebrated 14 years together. :-)

wozzel said...

Hullo AJohnP!!
thank you, and awesome stuff for you and Jim :) here is to the next 14 years for all of us!

:-)

Cheerz, *clink clink*

Anonymous said...

what a great story of love.

Marphyllis said...

Awesomeness :-)

Unknown said...

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing your love story Woz!

Anonymous said...

that really is a cool story. trying to look for love at the moment. did you know each other was gay?

wozzel said...

hi Anonymous, umm, at first, I was not sure. I thought so, but I think after a few minutes it clicked.