Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

of Dexter... and I wont take up too much of your time

I’ve mentioned the excitement of being the daddy of a little kitty cat. My very first pet that is not shared with a household. I am responsible for the little boys life. I have to feed him, make sure he has water. A warm comfy place to sleep and a happy home to live in.

Check. Check. Check.

Since being a new parent (the boyfriend moans that I treat Dexter like a human) I’ve loved being that person Dexter is so excited to see when I get home. When I’m on the porch having a ciggie I watch as he runs and jumps around in the garden, investigating every nook and cranny.

Now – the thing about cats, as we all know, is that they all have their own personality and are generally very – very independent. And this has began to worry me.

I’m already dreading the day he takes his first solo trip over the wall. Will I run after him? What will I do if he is gone for 2 or 3 hours? Send out a search party? Will I fret? You bet! Will I stay up all night until he comes back home – most probably. Will my boyfriend say something like “wozzie babe, relax yourself please before I smack you upside the head and just leave him to be”

He already has!

I should have got a dog. They stay home. they don’t jump walls and wander – while I sit at home and wonder.

I’ve realized that I don’t own a cat. I’m owned by a cat.

He really is just too cute though and I can not get over it :) funny though – I go spend a small fortune on play things for him and the boyfriend comes along and throws an empty toilet roll on the floor and that becomes the bomb – he wont play with anything else.


10 comments:

Nik_TheGreek said...

lol. So, you want Dexter to play only with your toys?

wozzel said...

lol - no! i just think its funny that he choses to play with something we had lying around at home as apposed to the toys i spent good money on! HAHAHA, i guess that just teaches me that cats really will always do whatever it is that THEY want to do :)

Nik_TheGreek said...

He is amazingly cute though...
Next time don't spend any money. Get a ball of yarn, a set of keys or a small rubber ball... :-)

Edyth said...

Hey Dexter, you cute thing you, come play with Zwiggy. The two of yous wil be BFF.

Ang! said...

Aaaah the bitter-sweet joys of parenthood! ;-)

Thoughts from the fish bowl. said...

he is so so sooooooooooo cute!

Unknown said...

Awww! I really want a pet, dog, cat, goldfish. So adorable Woz!
I remember the worry of a kitten starting to venture - I hated it. Especially when she wandered off in the the dark. I spent many of those early nights searching the garden, whistling her special tune, calling her to come home. Drove my boyfriend crazy. Eventually you get used to it and when he comes home with presents you'll know he loves you. You might not like the present (dead birds, mice) but just remember it is the thought that counts. :)

JCLL said...

I am most def a dog person, although our two cats are very cute (and so is Dexter) but dont be fooled, dogs also jump the wall and go for a run....TRUST me...

wozzel said...

@JCLL - I know. I've always been more of a dog person. But i've become very fond of this little monster :)

Anonymous said...

Omg such an adorable kitten!