Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

3 strikes AND YOU'RE OUT!

I think strikes should be illegal. Especially when these strikes affect innocent people. Let us have a look at the current fiasco we find ourselves in.

Teachers are striking because they want more money. I get it. They deserve a hell of a lot more, only – a vast majority of them are only substandard teachers. Who suffers? The kids. Children have not been able to get to class because the teachers refuse to be there. I watched on telly this morning as one of the Union members said “we don’t care if we strike for the rest of the year or who is affected” that person should be shot right there and then. Final year students have exams coming up and they cant do anything about it. This morning I read a story about the chaos at Scottburgh High School here in KZN. I shall copy and paste for your easy reference (aren’t I sweet)

“Scottburgh High School had closed last Thursday because of the intimidation accompanying the nationwide public servants' strike. On Wednesday, 107 pupils and four teachers were studying at the local country club when a gang invaded the property, demanding to know what the pupils were doing. Pupil Johan Naude saw two fellow *matrics brutally attacked. "They grabbed two girls by the hair, threw them on the floor and started kicking them. I saw one of the girls hit on the head with a *knobkierie and I was also hit when I tried to help them," he said.”

HEY? WTF? I don’t like this one bit.

Even the nurses and doctors are striking. It has spiraled out of control. They have blockaded hospitals and clinics, refusing sick people entry and the right to medical care! This scares and worries me immensely. Strike if you must – but do NOT deny people their basic rights!

I’m not saying that I’m ready to pack my bags and flee the country because I maintain my love and pride for this place. Only, it is beginning to wane. I suppose all we can do is wait and see…

I think the Government should give them the increases they want. Give it to them. And then, follow it with “But now we are going to have cut departments in half to afford it”

Lets see how quickly they shut up then.

I’m not one to write newsworthy or political blogs – but this has just started to piss me off now.

3 comments:

JCLL said...

The problem is not that they are striking coz they want an increase. Specifically after a huge recession and almost EVERYBODY in they country has not had increases. They are striking because they increases they are getting (again when nobody else are getting anything) are not good enough for them. They don't want 8%, they want 14%....I say the government must show some balls, sack the whole lot and employ new workers. our country is FILLED with unemployed ppl looking for work...give it to them, they obviously want it!!!!

wozzel said...

Aah. You are spot on JCLL. They have been offered increases and subsidies, but they want more. I find the Automotive strikers the funniest bunch. There has been a reported loss in their industry, yet they want 15% increase. Just does not make sense to me. I received my first increase here where I work in 3 years! I also wanted to strike, but I was happy and lucky and grateful enough just to have a job.

Nik_TheGreek said...

It's like that in Greece as well. It can be very frustrating... Future doesn't look very bright at the moment. The next couple of years will be tough.
Let's hope things will get better soon.