Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Monday, February 8, 2010

back to reality

The problem with going away, to the middle of nowhere.
Where you call a log cabin home for a few days.
Where you wake up to the sun rising over the ocean.
Where you climb mountains and drive over rocky terrain, your only concern are goats in the road.
Where you drive through places called Bizana and Flagstaff and over rivers with names like Mbizana and Mbata and the likes…
Where riding a horse into town is just a hell of a lot easier than taking the car…

is that, well, you just never want to leave.

Your mind floods with ideas of living there forever, barefoot and wearing tie-dyed clothing. Sitting along the banks of the ocean, fishing – with a hot flask full of coffee in the morning. An ice-cold beer under the shade of an old tree.

I was quite sad to leave yesterday and wiped the tears out of my eyes as I hugged my mother goodbye and began the 5 hour drive back home to the chaos that is the city.

Someone remind me why we do this to ourselves?
Why we insist on calling this concrete jungle our home.
Why we would rather be in the noise and pollution.

I want a simpler life.

I want to watch butterflies fluttering about – I want to watch birds soar over mountain tops. I want to hear the mountains sing in the evenings as the crickets and bugs and other little nunu’s come out for the evening…

to do what ever it is that little crickets and bugs and other little nunu’s do in the evening. Or maybe that’s just it. They just sing.

and wouldn’t you if you lived there?







(i will upload some pics soon, i've got a few to share)

10 comments:

OneStonedCrow said...

Yeah, it's sad you had to leave ... you could stay but there's a price to pay ...

wozzel said...

there is indeed. Believe me, we are tempted, but there is a price to pay in the end. We've got to be thankful that we have a place to escape to every now and again though?

thanks for the visit :)

Nik_TheGreek said...

5 hours of drive is not THAT long. You can't of course do it every weekend but it can be done frequent enough to recharge your batteries...
I'll be waiting for the pictures...

wozzel said...

lol - Nik, you're right, it's not THAT long, but i'm not the biggest fan of driving. I hate being confined for so long. I'm even worse flying. I wish I could just snap my fingers and be where ever i want to be :)

Juz said...

Aaaaw,
Welcome back though.
And yes, I would sing if I lived there too (because no-one will be able to hear me).
:)

wozzel said...

Ha! sing sing sing! That is my motto in life. And dance. Even if you cant :)

Paige said...

oooh weekend away, i need me one of those in every colour. where do you buy them?

Pedders said...

I hope you managed to get some proper rest! There's nothing like being one with the nature, with the surroundings!
I'd die aswell if I had to drive 5 hours.
And yes, bring on the pics!

wozzel said...

ooh, Paige, when you find out, let me know ;)

Pics to follow soon all, i forgot to get them off the camera last night. ooops.

JCLL said...

And this is why I live in Cape Town.... 27 years of JHB jungle and now living the dream. I have the best of both worlds. The city is 5 min away from where I live, but my back yard is the mountain... I have the butterflies and birds singing. And when all else fails I drive for 7 minutes to the best beaches in the world....