Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

if i could write a letter to my 16yr old self

Hey, hi. Hello there!

You’re probably on the beach again. Drinking Autumn harvest with that other crowd. Mom is right by the way, they are rubbish friends, but you’re going to figure that out for yourself very soon.

16 eh? Enjoy it while it lasts lad. You’re going to wake up one day and you’re all like 28 going on 46 and you’ll wish you had played more, danced more and stuck it out with those piano lessons mom sent you to. It’s ok though, you’re still pretty good, but I will say it anyway. You could have been better.
(you're getting a guitar for your 17th birthday, shh, dont tell anyone i told you. You're going to love that guitar)

Listen, you don’t want to hear this, but you’re over weight man! What’s with all that junk food? Seriously. Go on diet. Now. Don’t wait until you are 21 – it’s too long. You’re missing out, plus, you look kinda hot in a Port so sort it out.

Dude, listen to me. You are gay. You know it, but you need to deal with it and get that out of the way now. Getting engaged to Michelle to try and be “normal” is one of the stupidest things you will ever do, believe me, you will do a lot of stupid things, but this one will only cause you both pain. I know you have no idea who Michelle is, but you will meet her when you move to Johannesburg. She is lovely and sweet and kind and caring. Be nice. (Yes, you move to Jhb, you hate it and move back to Durban) Once you have accepted this life gets easier. I promise. It is not a train smash. You won’t lose friends and all your guy mates still meet up with you for beers in the pub. Yes, you like beer. Who woulda thunk it hey?

If this reaches you in time, and my godsiens, I hope it does, please, please study more! You’re writing Matric finals in 1998 and if you slack you’re not going to get into Uni easily. (ps, don’t drop out of Uni 3 times, it pisses mom off big time) It sucks having to work double hard for some recognition, and money. You like money, even though you’re not so sure what its like to have much of it now, you will soon learn that money makes life easier. Be grateful that you don’t base your life on it though. People like that in you.

Somewhere around the age of 23 you are going to go through a very strange phase where you think that tight jeans, big hair and piercings are cool. They are not. No one thinks they are. They lie to you when they say it is. You are going to look like a clown. Don’t do it.

You will start going bald at about 27, it’s slow.
I know.
It’s also crap.

Please don’t open that Truworths account. Please. PLEASE! That goes for that credit card too.

You will have your heart broken in a most cruel inhumane way and will go on a Vodka binge. You’re going to get very sick. Very sick.

You fall in love again, even though you say “I will never love again” – he’s a nice chap and you learn a lot from your previous relationship. So go with it. It all works out fine in the end. I promise.

I don’t have all the answers. I don’t know the outcomes to everything. I know you think you do but you don’t. You will be happy. You will be sad. Life is going to throw you a few curve balls. There will be surprises and downfalls. This is a fact of life and you will learn that. Just do your best. That’s all I can ask of you.

I know I’m wasting my time and using up the last of my magical time portal to send this letter to you because you won’t listen to me anyway.

You’re always going to think you know best and want things done your way. So go a head. Life is a rollercoaster bru, and you’re going on the ride of your life.
Hold on tight because you are going to fall off the rails now and again.

I love you. I do. I always will, even though sometimes I think I don’t.

Now go home – you have chores to do.

Love from me, I mean you. I mean us.

You know what I mean.

10 comments:

Nik_TheGreek said...

wow...
I really LOVED that...
baie dankie...
Would you do it though?
Do you really regret something you've done so much that you want to warn your younger self about it?

Paige said...

this is absolutely without a doubt my most very favourite post you've ever made that i've read. i love love love fricken love it.

thank you.

wozzel said...

Nik, wow, that is quite a hectic question. I know I should not have regrets in life, but I do. To the extent that if there were things that I could change, I would happily do so – I would.

Paige, thank you!!! I enjoyed writing this even though it actually took me a few hours because it got too deep at one point and too honest and just too much, it took me a while to figure out how to do it with out getting to personal and bursting out in tears. LOL! I’m real pleased you enjoyed it though. Thank you! xxx

peanut butter and jelly said...

Wow Wozzie, WOW WOW WOW! now you should try write a letter from your 40 yr old self to your 28 yr old self and try follow the advice? Thank you for this!

Anonymous said...

I’m just echoing what everyone else said. Wow. thanks. This is different. I love it.

Juz said...

Yep, also my favourite post by far.
I went to get coffee and then came back and read it again.
I love it.

wozzel said...

:) thanks dude!

PBJ -you've been quiet brewskie? good to see you around ;)

Gail said...

lovin' it!

Pedders said...

Now, isn't this one of the best posts ever? Loved it!!

wozzel said...

hey Gail, so glad you enjoyed it.

and Pedders, thank you!