Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Goooood MorNinG WedNESday!

I greeted Wednesday morning with puffy eyes and a warm horlicks, washed my face and hit the road. I love the world at 05:00am – it’s at its nicest. Mostly asleep with a soft stirring as apartment lights come on and baths are run and kettles boiled – street lamps flickerflickeron – then off.

Trees shake the last few drops of last nights rain off their leaves and they fall on my head. I whistle – rain drops keep falling on my head, keep falling on my head, and I smile, at myself, and the hobo who has just woken up in his cardboard house waves – and I wave back and he says “good morning” and I greet him back – as if he were a friend I’ve always known.

The sky is filled with colour. Peach, pink, blues and greens. The sun is lazy – and she is still in bed, she is in no rush.

I envy her; I think to myself, I would also rather be in bed today.

The Moses Mahbida stands proudly in the backdrop and I stop at one of Durban’s most beautiful look out points known as “the cube” to look at one of Durban’s most amazing sites - I look out over my city. The city I’ve always known. The city I love. And I say to myself “damn I’m proud of who we are” and I smile, because I know that later tonight I will be in that stadium, this pride of Ethekweni, the stadium built for the soccer world cup, tonight I will scream and shout – clap and jump and cheer for my country when I’m there to watch the game. And I remember, wow, only 99 days until the 2010 Soccer World Cup kick off.

I’ve forgotten that I’m running and now I’m just watching, I’m listening and I’m taking in all the freshness of an early morning. I jump in puddles and I jump on rocks. I balance on a wall and I’m doing the tango with a fly buzzing around my head.

Naaah, I would much rather be here, in the now, who needs to still be in bed?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish I was there too, but 5am I don't think that would ever happen. Great writing... the best post I've read today! And the day is almost done for me.

wozzel said...

aaah. thanks Ninnles :) My day started at 5am as mentioned, so has been on the roll for 5 hours now *yawn*

Thoughts from the fish bowl. said...

these posts of yours are my fave wozzel. happy wednesday.

peanut butter and jelly said...

I like this ALOTTA! Seems like you are having a better Wednesday than you anticipated. Enjoy the game, we will also be there with a few friends tonight. I’ll look to see if I can spot your towel anywhere ;)

wozzel said...

awesomenesss!!!

i'm just not looking forward to those bloody vuvuzelas! I can hear them from home when there are games, and it is loud enough - so i'm sure its going to be SUPER madness in the stadium tonight. eeek.

Beertjie said...

ah man that was lovely, thanx:) I really do miss Durban sometimes, used to know it like the back of my hand. what area do you live in if I may ask?

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am awake at 5 and I am in love with the stillness and quietness of that time.

Pedders said...

I envy you, somehow, for the fact that you have a fixed place to call home =)
and I can't wait for the World Cup to start =P
Enjoy your evening ;)
cheers

wozzel said...

hey Alwill - I'm in Morningside. Near Windermere if that means anything :)

JCLL said...

And then the day after.... Bafoona has once again made sure the whole country is sitting on tender hooks for the World Cup..Will we get smacked out in the first round...Possibility is very strong... 5am here in Cape Town, and I havent slept all night because of the 35 degrees during the night...Aint I just a pissin on your nice parade today...sorry for that...need to sleep

wozzel said...

lol - JCLL,

it was ok hey. so massive! i got lost :(

i never want to go there again.