Keep watching - I might just do a trick!

Monday, March 8, 2010

not just an old table

Restoring an old piece of furniture can fulfil a sense of accomplishment. You know. You take an old table, maybe it’s one from your childhood days that your mum is throwing out the garage and you decide, what the heck, lets take it home, sand it down and give it a good coat of varnish.

Then you and your partner and a few ice cold beers sit in the garden, under the shade of an old tree, and you laugh and you chat while carefully getting into all the grooves and corners and you carefully remove all the old varnish and give it a good rub down.

Then you stand back and admire the smooth clean table and begin applying the first coat of varnish. Then, after it has dried, some 6 hours later, you add the second coat.

That is what my boyfriend and I did on Saturday. We restored an old piece of furniture. An old homework desk I had when I was still a kid in school. An old desk my mother was about to throw out, when we decided to save it.

And we had a great time. And we had an opportunity to talk about the issues we had last week. And we said what we needed to say and said a few things we did not need to say. And in the end, it was exactly what needed to be said.

Only then, when we were done with our table restoration, and we stood back to admire our handiwork we burst out laughing because we really did do a crap job.

We did not manage to fix or restore the table quite how we wanted it. It did not come out looking like we thought it would.

But we fixed what needed to be fixed and that is all that matters.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! A beautiful Monday story, thanks for sharing it.

JCLL said...

Woodwork for the soul.... Its goping to be bigger than Chicken Soup....

Beertjie said...

I was going to say something deep and meaningful in response, but now I've forgot what it was. Glad you had a good talk!

wozzel said...

Thanks Ninnles. I see you got into your Monday mojo! Good for you! Yay for Monday!

JCLL! I think you are on to something there.

Aaah, Alwill - LOL!

The Closet Fashionista said...

I love this post...it has a certain serenity to it.Lovely Wozzel

Ps, LML's last day today (SWAN SONG)...no more blog, have to end this lawlessness, but it was lovely to meet you through it and I shall (definitely) carry on reading your blog xxx

wozzel said...

Thank you darling. I must say, I’m so sad to hear/read that your blogging days are over. It tears my heart apart. It’s been so awesome to read your blog and I shall miss you terribly! Great big hugs to you and a kick up the arse to all WINKY HEADS!! *cyber hugs and loves*

The Closet Fashionista said...

Ahhh Wozzel! Cyber hugs, that's adorable! Thank you, yeah...Winky Heads forever ;)
xxx

see you soon on your blog xxx

wozzel said...

forever!
xxx

Paige said...

do you have a picture of the revitalised table?

Nik_TheGreek said...

I'm very glad everything turned up well. 'Work Therapy' paid well...

wozzel said...

thanks Nik :)